come to those who've come to help...


What is the study of fossils?

What do you call the study of fossils as a career?
Posted in General, asked by Inila, 6 years ago. 942 hits.


The study of fossils falls under a branch of science called “Palaeontology”. It’s also known as Paleontology which covers a wider range of prehistoric sciences.

Paleontologists specialise in different fossil groups and studies, focusing on one or more areas of prehistoric study.

For example, one palaeontologist might be an expert in dinosaur fossils while another palaeontologist could have expertise in plant fossils. Both these professionals will be classed as palaeontologists even though they have very different skill sets.

Palaeontologists is quite similar but not the same as geology and it also involves a bit of biology. Paleontology is like a bridge between these two subjects.
6 years ago
Please register/login to answer this question.  Click here to login
- Just now


Just now